College for Certain
College for Certain originated as a set of practices we developed to serve our student population and their families as they prepared for their future success in college - and as they navigated the often maze-like process of college and financial aid applications. The American School Counselors Association recommends one counselor per 250 students. Many schools provide just one counselor for 1,000 students. At Perspectives, we maintain a ratio of one counselor per 100 students. This allows us to better prepare them for success in a college environment.
Over the last four years, 92 percent of Perspectives graduates were accepted to college and as of this fall, 76 percent of that number are still enrolled in college. Of our 2010 graduates 90 percent enrolled in college this fall.
Our College for Certain environment builds confidence, character, problem-solving skills and intellectual inquiry. This environment prepares students for the challenges of higher education, the workplace, and life. Our College for Certain initiative also includes a commitment to support students not only as they attend college, but finish with a degree.
Perspectives' College For Certain practices:
- Freshman and middle school students visit local colleges and universities.
- Sophomore and junior students participate in a multi-day college tour, visiting both local and regional colleges.
- Students take college prep classes in 11th and 12th grades.
- All students take the ACT twice.
- Students have access to a full-time, caring and dedicated college counselor.
- All Perspectives graduates have access to an alumni coordinator throughout their college education.
- Parent nights are held for each grade level, including financial workshops from Ladder Up for graduating seniors and their families.
- Each senior must apply to at least five colleges and for at least 10 scholarships.
- Perspectives graduates return to campus to share their experience with high school students.